Friday, February 25, 2011

On and off the loom


Quite a few projects to share with you today! The first photo is of the Abalone Lace Shawlette, now blocked and modeled by my youngest.
The second photo shows another version of the same lace shawlette, but in a lighter weight Noro DK yarn. Even on the loom, the stitch pattern appears much more open in the DK. This is a great example of how a change in yarn may reshape a pattern entirely. I get a kick out of how the lace points look as they appear on the loom.
This third photo is another lesson in change the yarn, change the pattern. I'm making a "Sunflower Spring Shawlette". When I wrote the pattern last year, it was for the lovely Tencelino (merino wool, tencil blend) that Helen Jacobs-Grant dyed for me. It was made from 2 strands of sock yarn held together for a dk weight. This time, I'm using another hand dyed yarn, but in all wool, worsted weight. The stitch pattern is much harder to see, although the shawlette is looming up very nicely. It will need blocking, and to accommodate the blocking size increase, I decreased the pattern from 33 to 27 pegs.
The last photo is a little ruffled scarf with the working title "Ivory Shell Scarf". It is made from the new Knit Pick's yarn, Chroma worsted, in the Galapagos color. This is such a fun scarf to loom. I often make scarves when I'm testing a new technique, and this will be a test for a loomed ruffle edging. The long color changes in the yarn work perfectly for this pattern.

What's on your loom?
Copyright 2011 by Invisible Loom and Craft. All Rights Reserved. Personal Use Only.

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous my friend!
    You are so very talented!
    I think of you often and wish that we lived closer~ I am thinking of making a trip north sometime and maybe we could get together then...
    Love the new blog decor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing the ruffled scarf when it's done and I love the new background, Renee! I just finished a stockinette skinny scarf, working on spring/summer chemo hats, and will make an open braid scarf. I finally grabbed the purple hat loom, but forgot which of your patterns it was for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant Renee I especially love your ruffled scarf, its just gorgeous and I love the colours of it too, they are leaping out of the screen :)
    Wishing we lived closer too, thanks for showing photos I love seeing your creations growing on your blog :)
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ruffled scarf! It is really beautiful and I love the colors. Is there a pattern online for it or do you plan to share the pattern when you are done?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I really like the Abalone Lace Shawlette!! Are you going to be publishing it anytime soon? Please??!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keetara,
    I am working on the pattern for the Abalone Lace Shawlette. It is a little more complicated to write, and I'm also still testing yarns, but it should not be too long. I'm so glad you like it!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment.