Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tea on Tuesday



A little follow up to "Which loom to loom" post. No, I have yet to find a small gauge loom that I can use with my vision and neurological problems, but I have not given up! I have the AKB sock loom and the Markman adjustable loom in small gauge, and I'm hoping that one or both of these will work for me. In the meantime, I'm working on a few patterns. One is for a little cap, and the other for a diagonal scarf for using up your "scrap" yarn (a loom version of a popular needle knit pattern.) I've also tried to improve the links on the pattern pages for those of you who do not belong to Ravelry. Hopefully you can download the patterns easily now.

Continuing with the Lavender Tea theme, one of my favorite cookies for your tea table:

Lavender Lemon Ice Box Cookies

Lavender and lemon pair well to make this delicious cookie. These cookies will keep for up to a week - I think. They’ve never been around long enough in our house to know for sure. I have used organic dried English lavender flower buds (unopened flowers) in this recipe. If you use a different variety or if you use fresh lavender, you may get a stronger or weaker lavender flavor.

1 and 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
3 TBSP. light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 tsp. vanilla
zest of 1 lemon, finely grated (about 3 tsp.)
1 and 1/2 tsp. dried lavender flower buds
2 cups flour
1/8 tsp. salt

Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicon baking mats. In a mixer, cream together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. (Don’t skimp on this step.) Beat in the egg, vanilla, and lemon zest. Combine the flour, lavender and salt. Add to the creamed mixture on low speed, until just blended. Divide the dough into two, and roll into logs 1 1/2 inches thick in plastic wrap. Chill until firm, about 1 hour. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Slice the logs into 1/4 inch rounds, rolling the logs as you go to keep them round. Bake one sheet at a time for 8 - 10 minutes, until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on racks. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

Copyright 2000-2011 by Invisible Loom and Craft, Renee Van Hoy. All Rights Reserved. Personal Use Only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment.