Monday, October 19, 2009

Books and Looming


Listening to books while I loom knit has become very enjoyable. My husband's ipod is now mine, and I'm not giving it back :) Unabridged is my favorite source for books - they are free to the blind, and if you select the 7 day check out option, you can have 5 books a week. My guilty pleasure is the "Master and Commander" series, read by Simon Vance. I do not know why, but I enjoy these books very much. They take place two-hundred years ago, on a British Navel ship, and it is wonderful! I have been trading off with historical biographies and other history books, as well as lighter novels, including some of the knitting series. It is fun to listen to books about knitting while knitting.

Today I finished the Brighten Circle Cowl, my version, and I am just adding a little ruffled edging now. It was a rainy day, and good for knitting. The original needle knit version is at Lion Brand Yarn, and you can see a photo of it there.

Below is my pattern for a loomed version of the cowl:

Cotton Circle Cowl

Supplies:
90 peg loom (CinDwood Small Afghan Loom)
Note - if you have another afghan loom with more pegs, it will still work, up to about 130 pegs, but you may need an extra skein of each yarn for the added size.
2 skeins Nature's Organic Cotton or bulky cotton yarn in Strawberry
2 skeins Nature's Organic Cotton or bulky cotton yarn in Pecan
loom hook
crochet hook

Makes an adult size ladies cowl.

You will work with two strands of yarn as one, using 1 of each color. Another nice combination in this yarn is Spice and Macadamia.

Cast on 90 stitches using the crochet cast-on, but do not join. Working as a flat panel, knit 4 rows in garter stitch (on the loom this is 1 row e-wrap knit, 1 row pearl, repeat)
Continue working as a flat panel in e-wrap knit until the piece measures 2 1/2 half inches from the start.
Join as a circle, and knit 4 rows in garter stitch.
Knit in e-wrap knit until the cowl is 16 inches long.
Crochet cast-off, chaining 1 between each loop as you cast-off.
Weave in ends.
If desired, single crochet around the edges, and then add another row of crochet for a little ruffled edge. I did mine in the Strawberry, because pink is a color I can see a little of.

The top of the cowl is the flat panel, and it is meant to fold over. The cowl is is soft and will roll and curl around your neck and shoulders. The "wrong" side is folded over on the top, showing off the contrasting stitches and the two colors in a pretty way.
Copyright 2009 Invisible Loom and Craft, All Rights Reserved
Pattern for private use only.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment.